Web Content and Social Media Manager
Location: Headquarters, Washington, DC
Department: Integrated Marketing & Online Communications
Supervisor: VP of Integrated Marketing & Online Communications
Defenders of Wildlife is a leading environmental non-profit organization, dedicated to the protection of all native animals and plants in their natural communities. The Web Content and Social Media Manager plays a key role in the development and management of online content on www.defenders.org, including our blog, as well as Defenders' social media channels.
The position collaborates with all departments to identify and develop stories and other online content that will engage our members and constituents. This hands-on position will require thorough knowledge of marketing content strategy and social media.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work internally and across departments to maintain a strategic and consistent constituent voice across all channels, audiences, etc.
- Monitor and enforce online writing style guide and procedures and educate content owners and other writers on best practices.
- Oversee a team of internal writers and editors, assign and manage deadlines, approve content and review copy for tone and content strategy.
- Monitor KPIs, conversions and trends.
Web Content Strategy and Management
- Work with Marketing and Program teams to ensure web and blog content is written, edited, published and curated in support of fundraising and constituent cultivation.
- Partner with the Director of Web Marketing and Digital Acquisition to actively manage homepage promotions and all web and social media content to support marketing efforts and maximize conversions.
- Actively manage web content development with Program teams in support of their audience goals and to ensure timely updates.
- Plan for photo and resource needs based on content plans and production schedule.
- Ensure content is properly optimized for search engines.
- Conduct content and design optimization tests, report on and implement content changes based upon results.
- Work closely with Director of Digital Solutions and Director of Web Marketing and Digital Acquisition to ensure implementation needs and timelines are clearly communicated.
- Manage Defenders’ social media (Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, Instagram and others as deemed appropriate) strategy, properties, measurement and ongoing improvement in support of the Marketing team’s overall goals.
- Responsible for managing the Social Media Community Manager.
- Strategize with and educate others on incorporating relevant social media techniques into organization culture and communications initiatives.
- Report regularly on the performance of social media campaigns and identify community trends.
- Keep updated on social media trends and apply new tactics with an eye towards maximizing return on investment of time and resources.
- Work cross-departmentally as appropriate to prioritize and plan projects, including:
- Gather requirements (audience evaluation, content needs and scope)
- Establish timelines for content production to fit in larger overall project plan
- Map out budget and resource/time costs specific to content
- Review submitted change requests for edits; manage and/or assign minor web updates to Director of Digital Solutions.
- For larger projects, work with Director of Digital Solutions and Director Web Marketing and Digital Acquisition to determine work plan/next steps.
Education: Bachelor’s (B.A./B.S.) degree or equivalent, preferably in marketing, advertising, communications, English, or related.
Experience: Minimum 3 years of experience in marketing, advertising, communications, Web writing, political advocacy, or related capacity.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong writing, editing and content development skills, specifically in online environment
- Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to take larger strategy and insights and translate into ideas and executable plans in the social media space
- Proficiency in social media tools and techniques and marketing (traditional, new media, peer-to-peer, guerilla and ‘word of mouth’)
- Understand social media’s correlation to marketing, strategic messaging, public relations, and its impact on community cultivation
- Willingness to experiment and innovate
- Exceptional organizational skills as well as focused attention to detail
- Ability to accomplish multiple tasks on a number of concurrent projects
- Self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision
- Passionate and knowledgeable about wildlife, environmental and conservation issues
- Experience with creative commons imagery, or image licensing
- Knowledge of and commitment to Web standards and best practices
- Photoshop and CSS skills
- Past experience working with content management systems (CMS), preferably Drupal and/or Wordpress
- Online design experience
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer and communicate with others while doing so.
General office working conditions, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants please reference Web Content and Social Media Manager position in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, along with your resume and salary history to us via e-mail at: HR@defenders.org
It is the policy of Defenders of Wildlife to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law, in all personnel actions.
Defenders of Wildlife is a national, non-profit membership organization dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in their natural communities. Our employees work in an environment that is inclusive and honors each of our unique perspectives and backgrounds. We believe that the conservation of biological diversity is best advanced by the contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, beliefs and cultures. We strive toward a collective goal of including all people in the conservation of our Nation’s wildlife and wild places.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.