Location: Headquarters, Washington, DC
The Accountant will support the Controller through review of data entry related to Accounts Payable (AP) and act as the staff liaison for all AP related inquiries. The Accountant will also perform duties in the General Ledger (GL) as they relate to expenses and associated reconciliations and assist with the month-end close.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees the entry of AP batches into the GL, as performed by the Accounting Clerk
- Ensures all Defenders of Wildlife policies and procedures are followed, especially as they relate to the AP process
- Updates internal payment request forms and communicates such changes to staff, as necessary
- Acts as primary contact for staff and outside vendors for all AP related inquiries
- Prints A/P and other manual checks weekly and obtains appropriate signatures
- Records all voids and debit adjustments into the accounting system, as necessary
- Reviews wire transfer requests for proper coding, supporting documentation, and approval
- Initiates wire transfers using online banking system
- Records wire transfers in the accounting system
- Generates weekly consolidated cash outflows report for use by Controller for positive pay file creation
- Updates Contracts Database on a weekly basis for any payments against existing contracts
- Works with Controller to periodically assess AP policies and procedures and make enhancements, as necessary
- Prepares and distributes annual 1096 and 1099 filings
- Identifies and makes recommendations for appropriate changes to the AP process
General Ledger/Monthly and Year-End Close Procedures
- Maintains expense-related reconciliations, with an emphasis on Integrated Marketing expenses such as prepaid expenses and inventory usage, and records adjustments in the GL, as necessary
- Works with Controller to ensure all internal monthly close deadlines, as they relate to AP and expense reconciliations, are met
- Assists with the preparation of expense and AP-related year-end audit schedules and pulls supporting documentation for auditors, as necessary
- Assists Controller with the preparation of the Form 990 filing, as necessary
- Performs all other related duties, as assigned
- Education: Four year degree or equivalent
- Experience: 5+ years of experience with accounts payable processing in high volume environment, journal entry preparation, and/or account analysis
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting software and spreadsheet and word processing tools (preferably Solomon, Microsoft Excel and Word)
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Well-organized with the ability to work independently under minimal supervision
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer and communicate with others while doing so.
General office working conditions, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants please reference Accountant in your subject line and submit a letter of interest and resume to us via e-mail at: HR@defenders.org
It is the policy of Defenders of Wildlife to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law, in all personnel actions.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.