Location: Headquarters, Washington, DC
The Accounts Payable Specialist handles the Accounts Payable process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs monthly balance sheet reconciliations,, and investigates any discrepancies
- Acts as liaison between Finance and Information Services departments to ensure proper coding of in-house cash receipts
- Records journal entry into accounting system for daily deposit of in-house cash receipts
- Reconciles daily membership cash receipts (deposited by external caging company) to the Membership Database and relevant supporting documentation
- Acts as liaison between Finance and Information Services department to ensure that records received from external caging company are complete, and to ensure proper coding of daily membership cash receipts
- Records daily journal entry in accounting system to record membership cash receipts
- Reconciles monthly online cash receipts and record journal entry in the accounting system
- Supports the Director of Finance in reviewing cash receipts protocols and implementing process improvements, as necessary
- Supports the Development and Integrated Marketing departments to investigate any discrepancies between the General Ledger and the Membership Database
- Serves as the lead for the quarterly lobbying report in providing required financial data to the Government Relations and External Affairs Department
- Manages the annual state solicitation registration process with an outside vendor
- Assists with preparation of audit and Form 990 schedules and selections, as necessary
- Coordinates the maintenance of Finance department files/documentation at headquarters and offsite storage location in accordance with established record retention policy
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
- Education: Bachelor's (B.A./B.S.) degree or equivalent in Accounting or related discipline
- Experience: 3+ years of finance, accounting, and/or comparable administrative experience desired
- Certifications: none
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above
- Proficiency with financial general ledger accounting system. Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Solomon) experience would be a plus
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Well-organized with the ability to work independently under minimal supervision while meeting tight deadlines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer and communicate with others while doing so.
General office working conditions, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants please reference Accountant in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, along with your resume and salary history to us via e-mail at: HR@defenders.org
It is the policy of Defenders of Wildlife to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law, in all personnel actions.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.